Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Call me CRaZy

Last night, Josh and I went to our birthing class. This is the second week we have gone, and I
must say it's quite interesting. There is so much to learn about the whole childbirth thing. There
are definitely things, I wish I hadn't seen, but overall it's a great experience. I am starting to get
really nervous about the delivery portion of this whole baby thing. I didn't realize how intense
things are actually going to be.... Call me crazy, but I think I am actually going to try having this
little man without an EPIDURAL. I have had the desire for a while to try it naturally.
When I tell people this, they are like WHY would you want to do that? I honestly don't have a
great answer. I have wanted to do it natural before I got prego and I am still thinking it sounds
like an alright idea. I am definitely not
opposed to drugs, but I am going to try to go as long as possible without an epidural. If any of
you mama's out there have done a natural childbirth, I would love to hear from you with any
great pain management advice. I am just ready for this little boy to be here. ONLY 12 more
weeks!!
YIPPEE!!

7 comments:

carley said...

oh my gosh heidi!! you're almost there. I can't wait to meet the little man. and yes i think you are absolutely crazy but you and all your craziness can totally do it

p.s. did you ever decide on a bedding?

Seth & Kirie said...

My mom had two of her three kids with no epidural...but that was because she didn't know they existed :) She says my birth was a breeze compared to the first two. Haha. My cousin also had her baby about a year ago without one (by choice) and she still is really happy she did...as for me, I plan on being as drugged as possible when that time comes...but mad props if you make it without :)

Jake and Lena B. said...

Go for it! It is such a great feeling to do it on your own. I tried to go as long as possible... but ended up getting one anyway. Just go with the flow. I never experienced much contractions with my first baby and she came out in like 3 hours and I felt jipped! :) so with my second, I went as long as i could without epidural. there's just something with the whole "birthing experience". ;) Best of luck!

Erin and Eric said...

You can do it on your own!!!

All I thought the whole time was that as soon as I have him I will be able to get up and shower. I didn't have to wait for the feeling in my legs to come back. It really is the easiest thing that you will do through out this nine month period. And as soon as they put him in your arms you don't feel ANY pain!

As for managing the pain...Take your favorite movie or CD that you have memorized. It helps to concentrate and repeat the lines then you focus on something totally other than the pain. Then if you think you can't do it get past that and believe in yourself that you can. Don't let people in the room mention the word epidural. YOU need to be the one to choose it. Make sure you request a yoga ball in your room. It helps to focus on bouncing on the ball. And it's a fun way to waste some time. Have anyone in your room rub your back/hands/feet. And focus on the pressure of the massage not the pressure from the contractions.

Women are made to have babies. And bazillions(not sure if that figure is correct) did it without epidurals. I know you can do this on your own. GO TEAM HEIDI!

Kristi Neeleman said...

Disagree. Not all women are made to have babies. Everybody is different and everyone handles things differently.

My outlook on it is this: would you have your teeth drilled without Novocain? Probably not.

It's up to you. There is pain involved. Some have more, some have less. Some go through "like a breeze." Some don't. Don't make any concrete decisions until you are finally there. Leave every option open because having a baby is like a crap shoot: you have no idea WHAT is going to be thrown at you.

Just some practical advice sweetie. See you in two weeks.

Alex and Anna said...

I always thought it would be cool to go natural but I never took a birthing class or anything with Max and just planned on an epidural. The contractions I had before I got the epidural were soooo painful I don't think I ever want to try it now. I bet if you really prepared yourself for it you could totally do it though. I'm rooting for you!!!

Julianne Howes said...

I'm going to call you crazy!! Haha... Seriously, if you could do it good for you!! I just think i'm too big of a baby!!! You are super close!!